During class this past week, we created a project where we had to create a newsletter, quiz/test, flyer, and concept map using software skills that we learned in class. In my previous education classes I had created many quizzes, tests, flyers, and concept maps, however after Mrs. Mislevy taught us how to navigate and use Microsoft office and Inspiration, I found it much easier to recreate previous work. For example, in my science methods class I had to create a concept map that outlined my entire science unit. I had never used Inspiration before, and it was my first time making a concept map, so I found this task difficult. It probably took me roughly an hour and a half to complete it because I did not know how to use Inspiration. I had to navigate and try and learn how to use the program on my own. I decided for my new project to just recreate my science concept map. I started from the beginning and was able to complete the concept map in about twenty minutes; it took me a lot less time to finish it the second time around.
In addition to learning how to use Inspiration, we also learned how to efficiently use certain programs in Microsoft office including publisher and word. I was really familiar with how to use Microsoft office 2003 after taking a course on it in high school; however I have found that it takes me a long time to just find where a certain feature is on office 2007 because things have been changed and upgraded so much. I am so thankful that I was shown how to use Microsoft publisher and word because I was unaware of all of the new features that they have. I also now know where certain things are located, which I did not know before. When I recreated a flyer and a newsletter that I had done in the past, I found it much quicker to complete since I knew how to use the programs. Knowing where things are located and knowing about the new features and how they can be used, will help me in the future when I teach since I will be using these programs often. I will also be able to teach my students how to properly use them.
I found it to be very beneficial to take the time during class to learn how to use Microsoft office and Inspiration. Not only did it help me to create and finish my project fast, but it will also help me with future projects and assignments. Probably the most beneficial thing to learning them was how it has impacted me as a future teacher. I will be able to quickly and efficiently complete handouts, worksheets, flyers, newsletters, concept maps, outlines, and calenders, to just name a few, for my classroom. I will also be able to teach my students how to use these programs to benefit their education. For example, concept maps will help visual learners to see how units can be broken down into parts. I could use concept maps not only for my own reference, but I could also have students create their own for an assignment. We could also create a concept map as a class on a certain topic, which could then easily be printed out and given to students to use as a reference to brainstorm and write a story. Because of this, I think that learning how to use Inspiration was extremely beneficial to me and will also be to my students. Concept maps can be used for all subject areas, whether it be to brainstorm ideas for an essay or project, or to outline an upcoming unit. One other thing that I really found beneficial was learning how to use tables to create forms or quizzes. When using tables to create a quiz, you can easily line up all of your questions. Microsoft has a feature where you can create forms, which will also allow for me to have students take quizzes or tests on the computer by just typing in the answers. This is another feature that will help me when I teach. It will also save paper as they can easily send their completed quiz or test directly to me.
Final Blog
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment